Glaucoma is the 3rd most common cause of blindness in the United States.
- Over 11% of all blindness and 8% of all visual impairment may be due to this eye disease
- Occurs when internal pressure in the eyes increases enough to damage the nerve fibers in the optic nerve and causes vision loss
- Usually developes without pain or symptoms
- Is 100% detectable and treatable if caught early on
Risk Factors for Glaucoma
- Family history of glaucoma
- Age 60 or older
- African Americans over age 40
- Those with diabetes
- Individuals who have experienced a serious eye injury
For more information about Glaucoma or to schedule an appointment, contact Chittick Family Eye Care today.
Additional Information on Glaucoma: